The June First Friday is always a bit more exciting and special. Not only is the first day of June lovely weather usually, but it is also the kick off night for downtown Sarnia’s annual ArtWalk festival.
Below is a listing of the events going on during the June 1st First Friday. Remember there are many other shops who will also be open until 9:00 p.m. to welcome you.
Christina Street will be closed to prepare for the big weekend, but as always there is plenty of free parking in the many municipal lots, Bayside Centre above ground lot as well as on side streets after 6:00 p.m.
1. Judith & Norman Alix Art Gallery - 147 Lochiel St - 6:00-9:00 pm - Experience the dazzling necklaces of Donald Stuarts jewellery exhibition ‘Homage: In Honour of Canadian Women’ opening First Friday alongside the first ‘Look & See’ of the year with Corunna based artist, Hope Martin. Members reception 7 p.m.
2. Coffee Culture - 130 Lochiel St. - 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. - Live music
3. Cheeky Monkey - 130 Christina St. N - 7:00 - 9:00 pm - Live super-charged music with El Camino Original art show & sale “Chasing The Light” by Bill Walters
4. Artopia - 188 Christina St N - 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. - Sheila Bycraft Jewellery will be here with her stunning Sterling Silver Chainmail, Bali Bead and Swarovski Crystal creations. Stop in to say hello and treat yourself or someone that you love to something new! Jewelry is like the perfect spice – it always complements what’s already there - Diane von Furstenberg
5. R. W. Lawton Gallery located behind the Imperial Theatre Box Office by The Capitol Bar -168 Christina St. N. - Programmed by The Lawrence House Centre for the Arts - The Frankingstyle Series - New mixed-media art by Francis Martin - Meet the artist 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Exhibition continues through June 22nd
6. Royal Canadian Legion Branch 62 - 286 Front St N, - 8:00 pm to midnight - Music and dancing - Mark Blayney Trio
7. rev-el-ree - 136 Christina St. N - 6:00-8:00 pm - The Static Movement 8:30-11:00 p.m. - Nic Swales -11 p.m. - 2 a.m. - DJ Phatfingers - door open 5:00 p.m. $3 Cover (no cover before 8 PM). Proceeds to The Lawrence House Centre for the Arts
8. zZas Pizza Bistro - 170 Christina St N - 7:00-9:00 pm Kira Jade
9. One Tooth - 155 Front St N - 7:00-9:00 p.m. - Bees and Honey - Honey from Local artist Ray Heeringa, Twin Bridges Honey, a bee keeper and the Toronto one of a kind brand Preloved. $1 from every Bee Loved Tee & tote sold will go directly to Bee City Canada.
10. Ups N’ Downs - 226 Front St N - starting at 9:00 pm - live music - That Whaling Band
11. Lawrence House Centre for the Arts - 127 Christina St. S - 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Three Fires by the Water opening 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. - Art by the Walpole Island, Aamjiwnaang, and Kettle and Stony Point First Nations - Exhibition continues through June 29th
Music by The Forest Excelsior Band with special guest singer Shannon Taylor
12. Vanilla Bean - 138 Cromwell St. - Live entertainment 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
13. Refined Fool - 137 Davis St - The Sarnia Lambton Brain Injury Association will be showcasing handmade masks created by brain injury survivors. “Unmasking Brain Injury”
14. Come Unity - 123 Christina St. N.- 7:00-9:00 pm - Featuring local artisans - Nadine Riley, Corynne Martin & Janet Vaughn
15 - Themptations - Hemp Goods and Culture Shops - 180 Christina St. N. - open until 9:00 pm - Art works and crafts by Leigh-Anne Van Den Berge
16. Cafe Yoga: Sarnia Reiki, Meditation & Yoga - 150.5 Front St. N. Suite 7 - 7:00-9:00 p.m. - Inspired Soul Exhibition by Sherry Russell Intuitive Artist - Meet the Artist and learn the story behind each painting. Fundraiser for Suicide Prevention and Laura’s Good Deeds Project.
Live music with Andrea Max