PETROLIA HISTORIC HOME TOUR HELD IN MEMORY OF SYLVIA FAIRBANK – TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
PETROLIA- Christ Church Anglican in Petrolia is excited to officially announce the 2018 Historic Christmas Home Tour that will take place on November 23 and 24, 2018. The tour includes five homes and Christ Church, with many of the homes within walking distance of each other. Each home on the tour has its own story, and typical of a Victorian home, each one is different. The ages of the homes range from 120 to nearly 150 years old.
The youngest of the bunch is located at 440 Emmeline Street, and was owned by the diocese of Huron and used as the Manse for Christ Church until 1988. Special features of this style of home include three beautiful round-headed windows on Emma Street façade, a lovely restored leaded glass over the large parlour window, another elliptical-shaped window in the front study and a wrap
around verandah on Emmeline Street.
Just next door is the Harris Residence at 438 Emmeline Street. This home is a stunning example of Gothic Revival architecture – complete with original roof cresting. Inside, the house is decorated in
Victorian style wallpaper, and some lovely antique furniture is scattered throughout. The home features a lovely sloping back garden where there sits a two-storey garden house with
a balcony overlooking the yard and ravine.
Lancey Hall at 429 Ella Street is a magnificent example of Gothic Revival Style Architecture situated in Crescent Park. It has steeply pitched gables capped with finials and pendants, iron cresting and a fine conservatory on the front with ogee patterned panes. Henry Warren Lancey built the home ca. 1876. The original fireplace in the front room has carved wild roses and figural details as well as typical Victorian Majolica tiles and is flanked by angled windows.
425 Chestnut Street is an Italianate Villa, built in the 1870’s. The ceiling medallion in the kitchen, and the faux-marble slate fireplace are not to be missed. During the Victorian Home Tour in 2016, this home was a work-in-progress, and it is now nearly finished, boasting a custom-built sweeping staircase, and many upgrades to the home.
4343 Petrolia Line is the oldest brick structure in the East end of Petrolia. Built in 1889 in the early years of the oil boom, the former Fire Hall is open for tours for the first time in several years. This building is an excellent example of late 19th Century Functional Architecture. The East End Fire Hall closed as an active fire hall around 1920.
All ticket holders are welcome to visit Christ Church Anglican after the tour for sweets and cider, and to gaze at the incredible stained-glass windows that tell the story of Petrolia’s amazing oil history. A small number of tickets will be available on the nights of the tour at Christ Church Anglican, but buyers are advised to purchase in advance as the event in 2016 sold out quickly.
This year, the volunteer committee has chosen to dedicate the Tour and the proceeds from the event to Christ Church in memory of Sylvia Fairbank, someone whom the committee calls “…a beloved Christ Church member, a tireless volunteer, a pillar of our community and our dearest friend.” Ms. Fairbank passed away in November 2017, and left an incredible legacy in the hearts of anyone that knew her.
If you go:
November 23 & 24, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Tickets are $15 each (cash or cheque payable to Christ Church Anglican only please)
Advance tickets are available at: Petrolia Home Hardware, Petrolia Town Hall, Petrolia Mercantile & Tea, Hogan Pharmacy Petrolia and from home owners. For more information please contact: Laurissa Ellsworth at (519)882-1365.